Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day 3




Today we went to the church near the hostile which we are staying at.  It made me realize just how out of touch this land is with the rest of the world.  Don't get me wrong, the people that inhabit Fiji are some of the kindest people I have every met.  However, with the sermon they showed that they are reluctant to accept any part of the theory of evolution.  They also simplified the issue of abortion to murder when it is really a much more complex issue.  The church itself was rather quaint and nice.  It was in the woods serrated from the rest of the compound to provide peace, and it was very peaceful.  After the church sermon we met the family that is lending their house to us when we are going into the village.  The wife is Angie and very open; while he husband seems to be the strong and silent type.    He is a carpenter and makes all for the money for the family.  I could tell he was a very hard worker because his hands were very rough when I shook them.  After meeting up with them we got in the car and started heading to a swimming hole that has a very beautiful waterfall.  Along the way we all had little conversations; such was (wife's name) pointed out that this one island had a SEVEN STAR hotel.  I honestly didn't even know that a hotel could receive seven stars.  They also showed us places on this island where parts of the movie Return to the Blue Lagoon were filmed.  Not only that but the scenery on the way to this island was beautiful; we saw cows wandering on the beach, and many different settlements on the way to the swimming hole.  However, on the way to the swimming hole I was a bit afraid that it was going to rain really hard again because the sky was very overcast.  There was almost no sun to be found in the sky.  The reason it would be bad if it was to rain was because there is a little bridge that we had to pass in order to come to that waterfall, and if it rained really hard then the bridge would become submerged and we wouldn't be able to get back easily.  Luckily everything turned out well.  We reached the place where the waterfall was located and got out of the car.  We started hiking towards the waterfall, and suddenly it started raining heavily.  We all had to quickly shield our cameras from the water. The waterfall itself was beautiful; it was very large and had a lot of brush.  There was another group that came to the waterfall and found a way to scale the rocks to get behind the waterfall. I brought my water proof camera with me when climbing up there; so I was able to get some awesome pictures behind the waterfall. There was also a place I wanted to jump from, but Lisa told us we couldn't.  She said it was because if anyone was hurt; then they would be held responsible.  I was a little bummed that I could jump from the waterfall.  After that we started heading back and Lucy fell; it was pretty funny.  After we returned from the waterfall we immediately headed to the second one.  When we arrived it seemed like it would be another overcast day, but all of a sudden it started raining like crazy.  We decided to have lunch and see if it would let up, but it never did.  Then Lisa told us we would have the option to stay at the village or go on the hiking trail to the waterfall.  Also that the people going on the hike would have the option to drop off items that we didn't need/want.  I chose to go on the hike and drop off all of my stuff st the van   except my water bottle and jacket.  We started the long hike, and it was beautiful.  There were multiple little streams and villages along the path.  There were also many different flowers and different types of foliage.  On the hike I soon found out that there were only 5 of us leading the pack.  On the way I found a coconut that I wanted to break open, and I named him Wilson ( if you get that reference then you deserve a cookie).  I almost fell and unfortunately lost Wilson. After a lot of hiking we finally made it to the waterfall.  The waterfall itself was beautiful, and it was really fun to swim up to the waterfall.  As we were swimming up some of the group screamed and asked Brett to come and see what was in the water; it was pretty funny.  When we got there Angela was climbing up the rocks and jumping off them; it was really cool.  I wanted to jump off them too, but Brett said I couldn't and it bummed me out a bit.  Everyone had a great time walking back to the village and we were going to have dinner.  The dinner was ok but it was primarily chicken.  Once we made it back to the hostile, we told every one of the highs and lows of today.  After that I immediately fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment