Sunday, June 28, 2015

Day 2 
                     



Today we went to the rugby tournament in the city/village.  We were able to get some neat action shots and the kids played rugby intensely.  It was interesting to see how passionate the Fijian people are about rugby.  We were also going to go to a place that was a swimming hole with a waterfall; however, the road was flooded so we weren't able to go to the waterfall - swimming hole.  So we headed back to the hostile to get ready for dinner.  I honestly was a bit worried about the food, but it turned out that the food was amazing.  When we first got to the restaurant, there were four kind men sitting next to a large bowl. They invited us to sit with them.  We talked for a bit and then they offered us a bowl of Kava.  I was very nervous for my first bowl because it sounded like it was an intense alcoholic beverage, and I heard it tasted funky. However, in the end it was ok.  The drink itself didn't really have a pleasant taste because it felt like I was drinking soil.  I also didn't like that it cause my tongue and throat to feel numb.  It didn't make me feel high or drunk (which I was very happy about).  After everyone got some kava, we got seated and ready for dinner.  I was honestly a bit worried about the food because the fish we had last night didn't really appeal to me.  However, the mackerel tasted great and the mashed potatoes complemented the taste of the fish.  was amazed that there was also desert.  The desert was comprised of a piece of chocolate cake; a piece of lemon came; and a scoop of Vanilla ice cream.   All three tasted amazing, and I was extremely lucky because Brett didn't want his piece of chocolate cake and I willingly took it off his hands.  After that everyone went back to the circle, some people wanted to drink more kava.  I unfortunately gave into peer pressure and drank a high tide cup of kava; which caused me to get a massive headache.  I also forgot my sulu at the restaurant so I don't know what I'm going to wear at the village, but Brett and Lisa assured me that everything will be alright.  Once we got back everyone said his or her highs and lows.  I said my low was the weather, but I lied.  It was actually allowing myself to be peer pressured into drinking that second bowl of kava.  After that I was able to get some much-needed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment